Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Children Know Best


Two days ago, I was at Annie's sixth birthday party next door. The theme was "Perry," meaning my dog. Pictures that her dad had taken of her and Perry were posted up on the gazebo as decorations. A "doggy obstacle course" was set up. Snacks included dog-bone shaped quesadillas. Yes, Annie officially loves Perry.

In the midst of the festivities (lots of excitement), Annie was swinging hard and fast on the swingset, then running and jumping up and down. She had to be persuaded over and over again to join in the structured activities. At times she became irritated (because she wanted to do her own thing and swing!).

At one point when she was swinging, she shouted over at me to "help me push." I went to push her from the back, but she corrected me and shouted, "No, push my feet! Push my feet!"

For a child like Annie, all that movement, especially the swinging and the pressure on her feet, is not only fun; it's calming and organizing both physically and emotionally.

When it comes to movement, children always know best about what they need. So, follow their leads.

If you have a child who is "on the go," loves to spin, swing, and jump, give her activities and opportunities to experience that kind of movement. Try setting up a "crash pad" (a pile of pillows and stuffed animals) she can jump on. Add a big exercise ball she can lie stomach down on and help her roll -- then jump. Swinging and jumping especially stimulate the part of the inner ear that affects balance and can be very calming for certain children.

I'll be writing a lot more about movement, self-regulation, and emotions in the posts to come, so stay tuned! Happy Birthday, Annie!

No comments: